Monday, March 16, 2009

Oh dear

So have I mentioned that part of the Orthodox Fast is abstinence from sex?

J and I have blissfully blown that one off. SURELY they're not serious.

But then yesterday, we had lunch with our priest. He's been gone on Sabbatical since Christmas, so we've not seen him. And honestly, we've missed him. He knows everything, which is awesome for J. And he's wise. And he's got an AWESOME chanting voice. And we like him very much.

I'd recently told him via email about our IF issues, so he brought some holy oil with him, annointed us, prayed over us, and then said... "Now, I won't command you, but I will suggest that you abstain from marital relations until Pascha."

Shit. (And I'm sure he chuckled all the way home at the "shit" looks on our faces when he said that.)

Now, some part of me chuckles and says, "Now, I know you're a monk, but surely you know how babies are made."

But I know he does, and I know the suggestion was made in the face of that. Lent is a time of preparation, and a feast follows. I think he asks of us obedience. Now, we know that God is not a vending machine, and abstinence would not be the nickel we put in the baby machine for immediate help. It would be something done for the same reason that all faithful Orthodox have for abstaining. Preparation. And a step into grace.

We've not decided yet. I think we're going to. Not because we're compelled or feeling guilty, but because someone we love and respect so much asked us to.

But the question is, do we break that part of the fast for one day when the OPK beckons? I break the food fast from time to time. I have meat once a week, and dairy a few times a week. Hmmmm.


And do turkey basters count?


3 comments:

Martin said...

Your faith is on a level I honestly can't really comprehend.

Good luck with your choice.

Beth said...

I think you do wait, unless on that day you absolutely know that God tells you 'go ahead'. I think the huge step of completely releasing this, relinquishing control, will be healing and lead to something amazing and deep that will be life-changing.

We're talking about just a few weeks here.

You have a plan. You've been working your plan.

God probably has one, too. I think it might please him to witness your reluctant offering.

This fascinates me.

I like your priest.

Beth said...

Oh, by the way: I took your advice and got a life.

Went to the beach with nine other women. Wine, laughter, shopping, books, more wine, more laughter, more shopping, more books, etc....

It was awesome.

Thanks!