Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lent

O Lord and Master of my life! Take from me the spirit of sloth, faint-heartedness, lust of power, and idle talk. But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant. Yea, O Lord and King! Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother; For Thou art blessed unto ages of ages. Amen

There's a great article on this, the Lenten Prayers of St Ephrem the Syrian, here. Interesting bit on prostrations, which I've never done, at the end.

Today, incidentally, is also the celebration of the Annunciation of the Theotokos (translation: announcement of the pregnancy of Mary). We remember today Gabriel's announcement to the girl Mary that she was going to become pregnant and bear a son, lack of husband notwithstanding. The Apolytikion of today says, "Today marks the crowning of our salvation and the revelation of the mystery before all ages. For the Son of God becomes the son of the Virgin, and Gabriel proclaims the grace. Wherefore, we also cry out with him, 'Hail, O full of grace, the Lord is with you.'"

I find it interesting that the announcement of Christ's birth is made smack in the middle of Lent. I haven't quite digested it yet, but something about it seems quite... right... somehow.





No comments: