Sunday, March 1, 2009

A few short notes

Dear party of one, table 64,
Wow, thank you for the 100% tip. I'd hoped, with your bill of $13.47 that you'd hand me $17 and tell me to keep it. I mean, that would have been awesome. I didn't expect you to hand me $27 and tell me to keep it. You're a little old lady for pete's sake. How was I supposed to have known? But then, that's the delight of it. Or at least part of the delight in it (because the extra $10 is pretty cool in itself). I would have deserved a 20% tip. I didn't deserve 100%. It's nice, from time to time, when the tip tells more about the person giving it than the person getting it. Or rather, it's nice when it works out that way in a good way. Some people are just plain cheap, no way around it. Others, like you, are just plain generous. I want to be like you.

Dear party of one, table 64 (a different one),
I'm sorry I originally pegged you as the sort who'd stalk me after work and murder me with a pick. You looked freaky, really. I mean, shaggy hair, baseball cap pulled down over your eyes, black skull T-shirt, you mumbled... How was I supposed to have known? But then, that's the delight of it. Or at least part of the delight of it (because the 25% tip you left was pretty awesome in itself). I couldn't have guessed, and it's always just plain COOL to stumble into a pool of gentleness and kindness where it's not expected. You were very nice, very pleasant, and I'd wait on you again in a minute. I hope you had a nice evening and a lovely day tomorrow. May someone bring a ray of unexpected sunshine into your life, just as you did mine.

(Entertaining angels? Either way...)

I had a good night at work, and a good night after work. :)

No comments: