Monday, March 29, 2010

Letter to the lost

My dear (tiny) little one,

We went to see you today, our little "blueberry", half me, half your father.

But you weren't there.

We saw a large dark spot, get bigger, smaller, move here, move there. Definitely a pregnancy sac, and definitely empty.

You've been gone a while, he said.

I want to explain to you why you can't be here with us, but I suspect that if you can understand anything at all, you understand this far far better than I do.

So I'll tell you only the thing that I do know. And that's that these weeks with you have been one of the greatest pleasures of my life, and I have treasured you.

Your mother loves you; loved you before you were conceived, loved you for every moment you were here with us, and will love you always.

Sleep well, child. I will see you in the Morning.

2 comments:

Veronica Foale said...

Oh fuck.

I just want to swear at the unfairness of it all. This is not fair, not for you.

Martin said...

I feel physically sick for you.

My very best to ye both.