Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Dinner

I don't think I've mentioned, but my husband and I love to cook, especially together. Most of our dates at the beginning of our relationship involved us in his little kitchen learning new recipes. There was a particular incident with a lobster even, which turned out delicious in the end.

So last night, our weekly date night (we don't have the kids and I don't work on Monday nights), we thought we'd try a new set of recipes the hubby found courtesy of Gordon Ramsay (*sigh* *swoon*). He was in charge of the chicken, and I was in charge of the potatoes. There was supposed to be white asparagus as well, but it turned out to be covered in pink slime, which we didn't take to be a positive omen, gastronomically speaking. So J took the whole chicken, chopped off its legs and wings (we'll use that for soup or something later), stuffed the body with salt, a head of garlic, thyme and maybe a lemon (?) and poached it for 15 minutes in homemade stock (carrots, celery, leeks, coriander, black pepper, and something else I don't remember right now). Then, he took to out, cut off the breasts and pan-fried those skin-side down with garlic and thyme. My taters were cut into tiny cubes, parboiled for 4 minutes, and then pan-fried in olive oil also with garlic and thyme. Towards the end, I added tiny pieces of pancetta. So we have chicken and potatoes. BUT THEN there was the morel sauce. I don't remember well how it was made - something to do with white wine, morels, cream, garlic, and other odds and ends. Results? AMAZING. Be very very jealous.

No comments: