Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Really?

I mean, really? Stop it. Yes, you, body. You. Stop.

So bloodwork yesterday, just to see what my body is up to, trying to figure out why I haven't bled yet.

For some reason, the trip home from the blood lab triggered waterfalls of tears and hiccups. Here's why, I think. Why the tears and hiccups.

(Pardon me while I meander.)

I think I'm handling this whole blighted ovum thing fairly well. I mean, I hate it. But I'm doing OK, overall. Have you ever heard of the palaces of the mind? It's a medieval means of memorizing large quantities of information. The idea is that you assign different topics different rooms and then assign each thing to be remembered a place in the room. It's more complex than that, but you get the general idea. Amazing stuff. These guys memorized entire libraries with this method.

It makes sense to me, because I often remember things, events, etc, in a location-based way. I see things in my mind, and that's how I remember them.

But anyhow. Remember that day, 2 weeks and 2 days ago? Yeah. That day. I've managed to stuff everything sore and sad into the ultrasound room in my memory. Lunch, where we talked about how big the baby would be. The walk from the car to the office. Those moments staring at a silent screen in a silent room. J's face. All those sore-don't-touch-it things are in that room in my memory. And I keep the door shut. I'm not repressing it. I'm keeping it there, where it's safe, and I don't have to trip over it every day. But sometimes that door just starts to swing open...

The blood lab unlatched the door. It swung open. I cried for 2 hours then grabbed myself by the collar and dragged myself to my workout and into the rest of my day. That was yesterday.

Today the doc calls me. She says, "Um. Your hcg levels are enormous." Like 70000+ enormous. Like normal for a 9 week pregnancy. "We're going to need to see you today."

It could be anything, we say to each other. Immediately, the entire month of November is before my eyes and the 14th is a date that doesn't make me want to curl up in a chair for days. But we also know there are other things my body could be busily building, and we don't say those things to each other.

So for 4 hours, J and I wonder again.

And when we get there, the doc asks all the normal questions. "Are you experiencing any pain?" (Does daily cramping, breast pain and exhaustion count?) "Are you experiencing any emotional or physical abuse?" (We both laugh and I say, 'Aside from what my body is currently doing to me?')

Then, up on the table with me. Stirrups, dildo-cam (thanks, V, I steal this from an older post of yours), silence.

And there it is.

The sac. It's bigger than last time, and measures exactly right for 9 weeks, 2 days, which is where I thought I would be.

And there's still nothing in it.

My doc's eyes welled up with tears. Mine didn't. J let it roll off his shoulders. I watched him again, watched the fear of the bad and the hope for the good wash off his features.

The doc talked to another doc, consulted, showed pictures. There were wispy things in the sac this time, but they did some magical color thing to the screen and determined it's just blood.

There is definitely no baby. And my body, damn the poor thing, is industriously building a nest for nothing. "A" for effort, but put the pencil down, honey. This is not a fight that can be won. You could build for three more weeks, but hush, hush, and let it go.

I will get some pills tomorrow that will cause the cervix to soften and the uterus to contract. I have Vicodin prescribed because the size of the sac could cause some significant cramping. It's expanded, you see, just like it should. And it'll be harder to pass now.

What is there to say, really?

3 comments:

Maura said...

I've got one. Dammit.

Fuck works, too.

Veronica Foale said...

Lots of swearing springs to mind.

If we're looking at the upside, it seems your body is good at pregnancy. Just this time, the cells didn't align correctly. Sigh.

Bleh. ((hugs))

Beth said...

There is this to say; that in the midst of all this sorrow and the bleh and cursing and crying, there is hope.

You CAN do this. Your body knows.

The hope you have clung to isn't confined to one room or even one palace. It is over and under and above and below, and it flows and washes and caresses and forgives. It's all carried on grace.

Walk through the sucky days as best you can. Hold your head up, but mourn that which you have to let go.

And then, my dear, go try, try again. And wrap yourself in that hope with Jeff...let it embrace both of you.

And make a baby.

Love you, so much....