Saturday, April 17, 2010

The beginning

It's started.

I took the pills this morning. It was supposed to take 24 hours to take effect, but lo, it started 4 hours later. As I was at the baby shower for a good friend. 70 miles away from home.

I was terribly irritated that I had to leave the shower early. I became less irritated on the drive as the cramping came in like a hurricane. 1200 mg of ibuprofen didn't touch it. I talked to my mom on the phone the whole way home about heaven knows what. Sometimes just about breathing. My mom was precisely what I needed her to be and I'm so thankful she was there.

When I finally got home, I downed a Vicodin. I am in love. :)

Even with all the pain, I'm so glad I decided to do it this way. It sounds stupid, because the baby died so long ago. But whatever is left of it is still my child, and I'm glad I'm present and awake as it goes. I saw a little clot at one point and I actually talked to it for a moment. It sounds like madness, I know. But it feels very cleansing.

Maybe it's just the narcotic talking, but this is physically far worse and emotionally far better than I imagined it to be.

(humming) everything's gonna be all right... rockabye... rockabye...

4 comments:

Veronica Foale said...

It will all be okay. Holding your hand.

xx

Maura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maura said...

Oh, friend. I'm so sorry.

*hugs*

WhatAboutNovember said...

It's OK. It is. It's been a while in coming, and I'm doing OK.