Sunday, November 16, 2008

Two things

First, I am wiped out. I don't think I slept well last night. I slept for 10 hours, so most may call me a sissy. Call me what you like. I was pooped all day. And. Like I said. I don't think I slept well. I had three very emotionally vivid dreams. Hard to explain. But I think I put a lot of energy into creating them. They stuck with me all day. I did figure out, I think, why a certain figure keeps turning up in my dreams at times like this. And no, for those who know me that read this, I'm certain you're not guessing the right person.

Second. A letter.

Dear party of 2 at table 70 at 4:45 all the way up through party of 4 at 71 at 10:15. All a y'all. Listen up.

I know the economy is... unpleasant. I live in it too. I know that most things at least feel more expensive. I have to buy them too. If you want to come out and eat when things are tight, by all means. But do not think that you can order all the things you usually order, drinks, appetizers, full entrees, coffee and dessert if you cannot afford all of that and a tip. "Thanks, you did a great job!" Does not pay my bills. It's called a kiss-off. A religious tract does not put food on my table. Jesus loves me, but he doesn't regularly chip in to heat my house. He does that through you.

The bottom line: Your server is not your coupon. If you can afford 20% less than usual, that comes off the whole kit and kaboodle. Not just my ability to feed my family.

I'm not going to treat you differently after tonight. I'm not going to go to work with a sour attitude tomorrow. I'm not going to spit in your food or sabotage your evening. That's not what I'm about. I am going to do the same damn knock-up job I've been doing for the last 12 years and I know things will turn around. You've got to take the good with the bad in my job, and it all does come out in the wash. But please. Think.

And now, where is that pillow?

3 comments:

Veronica Foale said...

You could always move to Oz, over here any tip you get is just icing, as wages are good.

Actually, I know waitresses that make more money than most other people (think $23+ an hour) plus tips.

The american system always confuses me to be honest!

WhatAboutNovember said...

Actually, overall, my hourly income is quite good when you add in tips. Even last night, which was one of the worst overall tipping nights (in terms of percentage) of my career, was better than many people here make working part time. So I really should be thankful.

And yes, the American system of doing some things is confusing.

Martin said...

The American system means you get good service as a customer, and anytime I visited I always ended up over tipping, probably out of fear of being seen as mean!

If I lived there I'd be bankrupt.