Thursday, November 13, 2008

Round of applause

And a round of applause goes out to the man. He is THE man. I had a very difficult day with my stepdaughter today. No need to get into it, but I was very frustrated by the time he got home. He listened so well, only had to dodge the flare-ups from a few of my misunderstandings of what he was saying, and handled the whole situation beautifully. What a guy, what a guy.

Pretty sure my suspicions are about to be confirmed on the not-pregnant-again front. There's a big part of my internal self throwing itself against the inevitable, squealing, "No no no no no no no no." Crossing my legs and standing on my head will not help. It is coming. And there's nothing, right now, that is going to make it better.

The mind-body connection is weird, isn't it? Why is it that when we love something, we want to put our mouths on it? We say babies are cute enough to eat, for example. We kiss our lovers. We blow kisses at friends. Why is that when we're sad, fluid comes out our eyes? I mean, why not our ears? Belly buttons? Why is it that grief lives in the throat, dread in the stomach, and fear along our spines? And what is the name of that ache in the chest?

I have other "why" questions brimming in the back of my mind. None of them are quite so interesting as the "when" questions.

1 comment:

Veronica Foale said...

Yay for The Man. Sometimes they are awesome (and other times you have to count to 10 and remind yourself that you love them.)