Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

First of all,

My dear party of 7 at table 83,
Thank you for the $30 tip.
Thank you for being generous to me. Thank you for forgiving me for the less than standard service I feel I gave you. Thank you for understanding that there was a larger picture at work that made my job difficult that night. Thank you for not making me tell you why. The money itself is very helpful this time of year, but more than that, thank you for reminding me of something crucial: We don't always get what we deserve. It's very easy to recognize the times that injustices have been committed against us. We rail. We complain. We gripe. But there are so many times that injustice works in our favor, and I forget that sometimes. "I do not deserve the bad things that happen to me, but by gum, I deserve the good things." Really? It's Christmas time, and now more than ever, I remember that some 2000 years ago we got precisely what we did not deserve.

Your server.

More later. Dinner's ready...

2 comments:

Martin said...

I hope all is okay?

WhatAboutNovember said...

Oh yes, all is OK. I was taking care of a party of 30 at the same time as that table and the credit cards got all mixed up (everybody picking up somebody else's drink, dessert, etc. So annoying). It took about 20 minutes to figure out and my party of 7 table waited like angels the whole time. And then left me $30.