Sunday, February 28, 2010

The run

So, I did it.

The stats:
31:29 total time
31st place out of 64 runners
2nd of 13 in my age division
16th of 39 women
Splits: 10:15, 11:03, 10:33

I am pleased about some things. I am pleased I did it. I'm pleased at my standings.

I am pleased that the size M pants I bought for the occasion turned out to be too large. :)

I am surprised at my times. I've been training at 9 minute mile pace, and had sort of expected something like that for my race. I ran/walked 3 miles on Wednesday in 28:20.

I think the largest contributing factor to the slower time was my inability to pace myself without the treadmill to do it for me. I'd planned to run outside several times before this race, but what with the mountains of snow and the tendonitis, I didn't get to it. This was the first time I'd run outside since I was 16 years old. I have no idea what a 9 minute mile actually feels like.

Next time, I will have many outside runs under my belt. I found out I don't mind running in the cold. It was just fine. I will also wear a watch next time to help me keep track of my pace every quarter mile.

The cool part? Kicking it into high gear for the last half mile.

Plus, I got a sweet shirt.

I've got my eye on another 5k at the end of April. The plan is a half marathon in Philadelphia in November. I think I'm hooked.

2 comments:

Veronica Foale said...

Well done you!

Maura said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and a little jealous...I've been wanting to do this for some time. How did you get started? Did you run/walk?