Thursday, January 7, 2010

Something new

I am becoming a runner.

I ran in high school - track. Sprints. (Badly) (Slowly)

I've been meaning to try running distances for a while, but partially because I'm a chicken and partially because of this whole TTC thing, I've not done it. I was under the impression since last spring that running could interfere with implantation, and prior to last spring, I operated a great deal under the impression that trying anything so dramatically new would be pointless, because, well, what if I ended up pregnant?

Enough of putting life on hold.

I talked to my doctor and was told that running is (theoretically, as long as nothing is wrong) fine in early pregnancy and wouldn't interfere with the becoming pregnant process. If we were to do IVF (which we won't), I wouldn't be allowed to run because IVF drugs cause the ovaries to expand so much that they'd bounce much more and could twist. And that would be bad.

So I talked to my brother in law, who runs, and he recommended a book called Run Less, Run Faster and I started the training Tuesday. Everything hurts, but not in an injury way. In a, "hey, we've not been used like this in a LONG time" way. But it's exciting.

I'll be running a 5K at the end of February. The plan, assuming I don't become pregnant and a couch potato (hopefully one, but not both, will come to pass) is to run a couple 8 and 10Ks over the summer and a half marathon in November. And a full marathon next spring sometime.

I'm excited. I have mixed motives for this move. It's partially because it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. But it's also something that I can focus on that I have some measure of control over. I would say equal parts of both. Plus it's healthy. And cool.

:)

CD12 today. Probably going in for IUI2 early next week.

Til then, I will dream about finishing a race, having run the whole way.

Surely, there is a metaphor here. But I'm going to leave it alone for now. ;)

No comments: